With Bonfire night fast approaching, fireworks have once again become a hot topic across the UK. October 2024 has already brought significant fireworks news, from serious incidents involving the misuse of fireworks to the cancellation of Worthing’s annual display.
In this blog, we’ll be looking at the latest fireworks stories that are making headlines in the UK. If you want to stay updated on fireworks news, trends and changes in the law, keep an eye out for our monthly fireworks news.
1. 12 year old boy seriously injured in firework attack
In a traffic accident, a 12-year-old boy from Dunmurry was seriously injured when he was hit by a firework thrown by a group of youths. He had to be taken to hospital to treat a severe eye injury.
Ch Insp Dunne has called it a ‘reckless assault’ and, as a result of this, has told parents and guardians to speak to their young people about “this sort of behaviour”.
In Northern Ireland, there have been calls for tighter controls on fireworks sales and usage, with some wanting an outright ban. This incident has further fueled the debate as Bonfire night approaches and highlights the need for responsible firework handling to prevent more tragedies.
Read more about this article on BBC news here.
2. Classic FM Pet Classics back to calm pets during fireworks
The fireworks season can be stressful for pets, so Classic FM is bringing back its popular Pet Classics program.
There will be two special broadcasts on Saturday 2nd November, and Tuesday 5th November, and will be on air from 5 pm to 9 pm.
In partnership with the RSPCA, Classic FM has created a calming playlist of classical music that has been chosen to calm nervous pets and anxious owners.
3. Firework sign blunder in Loughborough
Loughborough University students and locals were in stitches when somebody spotted a funny typo on event signs across the campus.
The sign was to promote their firework display and warned drivers of the event on the “2th of November” – yes, you read that right – the 2th!
What could have been a minor mistake turned into a major talking point, with the sign going viral and becoming a meme on social media. Some TikTok users even joked that the “2th of November” could be a new, secret holiday exclusive to Loughborough!
So, if you’re in Loughborough, make sure you don’t miss the Fireworks Extravaganza on the actual date and have a laugh at this viral campus blooper!

Loughborough University firework sign blunder – BBC News
4. Worthing Pier’s Firework display cancelled
For the first time in 25 years, Worthing’s annual firework display has been scrapped, and the community is devastated by the news. Worthing Lions were organising the fireworks display, which was due to take place on the 5th of November.
In early October, engineers found that one of the pier supports had been damaged by a storm. As a result, Worthing Borough Council had to close the pier and cancel the event.
Kevin Hawkes from the Worthing Lions said the group looked at other options and alternative venues but had to make the “awful” decision to cancel the event.
Despite the disappointment, Mr Hawkes said the fireworks display would return “bigger and better” in 2025. For now, the focus is on repairing the pier.
Read more about this article here on BBC news.

Worthing Pier
5. Three men arrested after 7,000 fireworks found
Three men were arrested in West Yorkshire after police found 7,000 fireworks in a garage in Girlington, Bradford. Residents have reported fireworks are being sold to children, and three men aged between 22 and 45 were arrested.
Police are warning people about the dangers of fireworks during the bonfire season. They are working with schools and local authorities to stop illegal fireworks and keep the community safe.
In last month’s news recap, we mentioned the protests in Bradford over late-night fireworks, which has added to the drive to tighten up on firework restrictions.
Read more about this article on BBC news.
6. London’s New Years Eve fireworks tickets go on sale
London’s New Year’s Eve fireworks are set to return in 2024. 65,000 tickets are on sale now, priced between £20 and £50, depending on the viewing area. London residents can get a £15 discount.
After the pandemic and extended lockdowns, this New Year’s Eve is expected to be one of the biggest in recent history.
This year, ticket prices have increased significantly – some more than double – partly due to Martyn’s Law, a security initiative introduced after the 2017 Manchester Arena attack, requiring venues with over 200 capacity to have robust security measures in place.
If you can’t get a ticket, there will be plenty of alternative viewing points around London, or you can watch it live on BBC One.

Fireworks lighting up London’s skyline
Stay updated with Firework News
As Bonfire night approaches, it’s clear that this time of year and fireworks season bring excitement as well as challenges. From the serious incidents that remind us of the dangers to the fun of community events like the Loughborough fireworks display blunder, we need to stay informed and prepared.
The cancellation of Worthing Pier’s fireworks display and the arrest of men selling fireworks to children shows the ongoing issues with safety and responsibility during the festive period.
Remember to keep an eye out for updates on fireworks, and feel free to check out the following helpful resources to ensure a safe celebration this season.





















